Three broad iron ore formations were also identified based on mode of occurrences:
- Banded Iron Formations (BIF) with hematite, magnetite/maghemite: found at Tajimi, Itakpe, Ajabanoko, Chokochoko, Toto Muro, Farin Ruwa, Birnin Gwari, Maru, amongst others.
- Cretaceous sedimentary (oolitic) iron deposits: occur at Agbaja, Koton Karfe and Okofi of Kogi State, Nsude of Enugu State, Lamba of Bauchi State, and Gidan Buzu of Yobe State; etc.
- Magmatic (Igneous) iron ore deposits found in Gyaza, Katsina State, Kambala and Yola Nora in Bauchi State.
Spectral Geology and interpreted Airborne Magnetic Survey Data indicated the occurrence of 35 iron ore resource targets in the assigned 5 blocks.
- Only twenty-eight (28) recommended targets areas were traversed
- Surface and subsurface samples were collected and analyzed
- Eleven iron ore prospects were selected for detailed investigation (Ground Geophysics, Detailed Geological Mapping, Lab Tests)
- Block 1 – 2 (Damaga, Dogon Daji)
- Block 2 – 1 (Jaruwa)**Libele-Nasko (added as new find)
- Block 3 – 3 (Kambala, Gangaren Mata and Waka
- Block 4 – 2 (Tajimi, Adogo)**Ajovo (added as new find)
- Block 5 – 3 (Enale-Ankpa, Akpanya & Ogbozala)
- The selection was based on Fe content and size of the iron ore resource
- +30%Fe content was considered as threshold for selection of area for detailed for investigation
Detailed mapping (1:5,000) of 11 target areas recommended Ground Geophysical Survey (Magnetic and VLF-EM) on 7 Areas due to their good Fe content and size of the occurrences (Adogo , Ajovo. Enale, Kakun and Tajimi in Kogi State; Libeli area in Niger State and Kambala area in Bauchi State):
- Laboratory results and size of occurrence have so far established Tajimi (Kogi State) and Libeli Niger State) to be highly prospective
- Tajimi Iron Ore Resource – 1400mX400 delineated containing Magnetite and Hematite as chief minerals grading 58.4%Fe2O3, 40.5% SiO2, 0.08%P2O5
- Libele-Nasko Iron Ore Resource – 5000mX80m grading 44.4%Fe2O3, 1.0%P2O5, 11.1%MnO